Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Varan Fal

This is our all time favorite one dish meal. My Aai makes it very yummy. This is one of my & my husband’s favorite & quickest options for lunch or dinner.


Ingredients
For varan (dal)
Toor Dal – 1 cup
Haldi- 1 tea spoon
Mustard seeds – 1 tea spoon
Hing – 1 pinch
Goda masala – 2 tea spoon
Red chilli powder - 1 tea spoon
Jaggery – 3 tea spoon
Tamrind pulp – 1 -2 table spoon
Salt as per taste
Oil – 3 Table spoon
Green coriander - 3 table spoon
2-3 tbsp fresh green coriander

For Fal
wheat flour – 2 cups
Oil – 2 Table spoon
Water – to knead dough
Ajwain- 1 Teaspoon
Salt to taste.

Procedure:

For varan
Wash & cook Toor Dal with pinch of haldi and hing. Mash cooked dal with spoon. Heat the oil in kadai, add mustard seeds to crackle then add hing, haldi. Then add mashed dal, tamrind pulp, jaggery, red chilli powder, goda masala,salt. Mix it well and add some water for a curry like consistency. Boil it.

For Fal
Mix wheat flour, ajwain, salt & oil. Kead a dough like puri. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Rool out the dough same as roti. Cut it in rectangular shape.(or in any shape you want) Add these pieces to the boiling Dal. Cook it for 5-10 minutes. Garnish it with coriander.Serve hot with lots of ghee on it.

____________________

3 comments:

Sonal said...

hi..
lovely lovely blog.. all the recipes reminds me off my nani and my mom . my mom is from maharastra ..a marwari but from maharastra and she used to tell me about ukarpendi, thalipith and all.hmmmmm loved your blog.
but hey... i found someone else using some of your recipes pics in her blog..i realized after seeing this varan fal picture.

Khaugiri said...

Hey, Thanks Sonal. Can you please tell me that bolg's detail so that I will check that. Thank you so much once again.....

Nivedita Thadani said...

HI
we call it "Chakkoli" and make it often for dinner.
I kept the recipe and photo in the draft but not getting chance to post it.
Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...