Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nankatai

Nan Katai…. wow it's my favorite cookie. I used to make this from my college days. That time we had that small round electric oven. I used to make some cakes, khari, puffs and nankatai which my Kaku taught me after my 12th exam. Gone those days….. I thought to make this lovely cookies once again and started to find out my first recipe notebook. I finally got the recipe and here it is for you all…..

























Ingredients


All purpose flour (Maida) - 1 cups

Ghee - 5-6 tablespoon (Earlier kaku was used to make it with dalda-Vanaspati ghee)

Powder sugar - half cup

Baking powder - 3/4 teaspoon

Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon.

a pinch of salt (Optional)





















Procedure

Sift all the powders together. Now by adding little ghee at a time knead a soft dough. Don't use water for this. You can increase the quantity of ghee if required. Cover it and keep aside for an hour or so. Now grease a tray. Preheat oven on 180 °C. Make small equal balls of dough and press them with your palm. If you like put some pistachio slice on it. Arrange these ball on tray. Keep some distance because the size get bigger after baking. Bake for 20 minutes. Store it in a airtight container after it gets cool. Tastes good with tea:)






This goes to Sara's Cakes n Cookies Event.


And to Susan's Eat Christmas Cookies season 3


11 comments:

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi. These are my all time favorites but I always make them with oil, may be I will share my recipe sometime. I liked ur click very much.

jayashree said...

This cookie certainly deserves the throne ! It brings back nostalgic memories of childhood when I used to gorge on them. We called it Benne Biscuit. Benne meaning Butter.

Faiza Ali said...

They have come out perfect... have bookmarked your recipe, will try soon and let you know..BTW nice presentation and click.

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely presentation...Nankatailooks fantastic !

Unknown said...

That looks melt-in-the-mouth delicious :d

Khaugiri said...

Thank you girls:)
Pari, I am waiting for ur version.

chakhlere said...

This is my fav cookies also. Infact this was the only famous cookie in our childhood days. You made me nostalgic... I am also gonna try the now.

Deepa G Joshi said...

Beautiful clicks!!! I love nankatais and miss them too.. I remember in my childhood how my mom used to go to our local bakerywala for baking them.:)

Sara's Corner said...

Superb photos and cookies looks yummy. Thank you for participating in the event..

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Foods with strong memories like these Nankatai always make them taste so much better. Thanks for the cookies and the sweet story, Preeti!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I tried this recipe today but it didn't work at 180 c for 20 min.they looked undone and powdery to me so I increased the temp after sometime and then they were burnt.I don't know what went wrong can you please tell me.Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...